The C4WS Mentoring and Befriending Scheme was set up in 2010. We recognised that to some guests the prospect of leaving the shelter and its community to a private tenancy could be a lonely and frightening experience. Challenges such as paying bills and dealing with a landlord can be hard to deal with and could lead to the person abandoning their tenancy.
Our trained mentors meet with their assigned mentee weekly for 6 months and assist guests to reach a state of sustainable independent living
A mentor can support people around any or all of the following:
- Life skills support which will centre on independent living skills e.g. learning how to cook,
- Tenancy support (including how to pay bills and budgeting)
- Employment support – helping to apply for jobs, writing CV’s and interview techniques
- Educational support – Helping to apply for courses and contributing financially towards educational materials and course fees.
- Addressing the issue of homelessness and how to stay out of the cycle of homelessness
- Social support
If you are interested in becoming a C4WS mentor and befriender please e-mail email@example.com